“The Government has put firms as the intermediary on this and we need them to step up.” Martin Lewis OBE, Money Saving Expert.
The Job Retention Scheme is open to all UK employers for at least three months starting from 1st March 2020. It is designed to support employers whose business has been affected by Covid-19
Employers can claim for 80% of furloughed employees’ usual weekly or monthly costs, up to £2,500 a month per employee, plus the associated Employer National Insurance contributions and minimum automatic enrolment employer pension contributions on that wage. This scheme can be used anytime during the three months.
The scheme is open to all UK employers whose payroll schemes were open on 19 March 2020.
Who can claim?
Any qualifying business with employees can apply, including:
- limited companies
- sole traders (with employees)
- recruitment agencies (agency workers paid through PAYE)
Staff you can claim for
Any furloughed employees who have been on your payroll prior to 19 March 2020, these can be:
- full-time employees
- part-time employees
- employees on agency contracts
- employees on flexible or zero-hour contracts
It also covers employees who were made redundant since 19 March 2020, if you have rehired them.
- While on furlough, an employee can not do any work for or on behalf of the employer
- While on furlough, the employee’s wage will be subject to usual income tax and other deductions.
- You do not need to place all your employees on furlough.
The claim portal is now open. Click here to submit your claim.